|See the three middle chairs? Yah, those are old classroom chairs
(they even have the rungs on the bottom for books and such).
They are uber sturdy, but crazy heavy -- built to last I suppose.
On the way home from my inspirational friends house, with the dresser still in my car (see my last post for the story about the dresser), I stopped at a big box store -- there, in the ‘OOPS’ section, was a gallon of green paint for only $7 (best match for color is Sanctuary by Behr! That gallon of paint and a couple quarts of 'OOPS' paint (one is a lavender-ish and the other a dark reddish-brown) came home with me. In the past two weeks, I found two additional chairs at the second-hand stores in town ($5 each -- reference the photo above, they are the chairs on either end of the lineup).
With all five the chairs in the garage, my access to the dresser is blocked, so I started painting the chairs! As referenced in the photo above, you can see that each chair is in a different stage in the upcycling process.
I started with one chair to see if I liked the new green paint color on the chairs. I DO!! However the color looks better in the dining room than the parlor, so when the chairs are done we will have new dining room chairs and the chairs in the dining room will get scrubbed clean and will be relocated to the parlor.
Yesterday, I decided I needed to work more efficiently and stop working on one chair at a time. So, I prepped all the chairs. The chair shown below was the most work! I started by washing it. Which quickly turned into a BIG project (I didn't realize it was so coated with years of disgusting dirt and grime). Murphy's Oil Soap made it sticky and worse. I ended up using ammonia water to clean the sticky gooey mess. It really worked like a dream and as a bonus it took some nasty varnish off too. I think the varnish was more attached to the dirt and grime than to the wood of the chair - eew.
|Here I am, beginning to clean the|
chair with ammonia water.
|The clean chair!|
Today I painted the rest of the chairs (well at least in the photo it LOOKS like I painted them all – the upside-down chair is only half painted). I think they will need another coat or two, but I am making progress and it SHOWS!! Yay me!!
|Every day a little closer to finishing this project!!|